This group consists of 20 dedicated volunteers that support the administration team in running all the programs offered at Gurmat Center. This highly skilled group of youth volunteers commit an average of 10 hours a week to ensure consistent quality programming.
The purpose of Seva Club is to provide youth with an opportunity to use their current skills, and develop new ones, while performing selfless service for the community. The end goal of becoming a Sevadar is to develop such a love and passion for Seva that it becomes a way of life, rather than a single act of service. As Sikhs, we are born to serve humanity and Seva Club is a small starting point where you can direct your time and energy to make a positive difference in someone else’s life, as well as your own.
This leadership based club will be responsible for ensuring all departments and events are organized and executed effectively. Becoming a member of Seva Club means that you will be giving up your time, energy and services without expecting anything in return.
Becoming a member of Seva Club allows youth to gain a variety of different skills and experiences throughout their term. These include:
- Meeting new people
- Using your talents and skills
- Developing new skills and abilities
- Discovering new areas of interest
- Getting valuable work experience
- Helping the community
- Volunteer recognition
- Receiving the blessings of God for following the teachings of your Guru Ji
As a Seva Club member, you will be expected to:
- Have good attendance
- Carry out duties promptly and responsibly
- Accept the guidance and decisions of program leaders
- Be reliable and punctual
- Respect confidentiality
- Be respectful of the people you work with
- Have a non-judgmental approach
- Carry out specified job duties
- Provide feedback
- Be accountable for your own actions
- Ask for support when needed
- Be committed to the club
- Work well with other team members
The following is a list of Seva commitments and events that members are expected to attend:
- Sunday Youth & Family Darbar (every Sunday evening from 5:30 - 7:00 pm)
- Annual Shaheedi Smagam: October 31 (and any related preparation events)
- Annual Awards Ceremony (and any related preparation events)
- Outreach events
- Seva in the 3 Annual Gurmat Camps (Spring, Summer, and Winter). Minimum of 2 weeks required for Summer Camp
- Seva one evening per week, in either the Dharam Parchar Store or office.
- Perform any required Seva upon request
*Please note the requirements are subject to change due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation.
REASONS FOR DISMISSAL
As an organization, Gurmat Center is responsible for clearly setting out its policies and practices and applying them consistently. It is expected of members to uphold these rules and regulations. Failure to do so could result in the member’s removal from the club. Reasons for dismissal may include unsatisfactory performance, unsatisfactory behaviour, or other types of misconduct.
“PARTICIPATION HOURS” PROGRAM
By signing up for Seva Club, you will be enrolled in the Participation Hours Program. The purpose of this program is to assess the dedication and responsibility of volunteers, and to later promote them to an official Seva Club Level 1 position, upon completion of a required 50 hours. These hours can be achieved by participating in any of the Seva opportunities listed below. Each hour spent doing Seva equals 1 “Participation Hour” that will be recorded in your file. You may earn participation hours by assisting in the following areas:
- Gurmat Camps
- Dharam Parchar Store
- Sunday Darbar
- Cross Legged Competition
- Awards ceremony
- Shaheedi Smagam
*Please note the opportunities are subject to change due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation.
After successfully earning 50 participation hours, you will automatically be enrolled in your two year term as a Seva Club member. Upon completion of this term, you will be required to vacate your position.